Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Where do I even start?!

SOO much has happened since my last blog.. I don't even know where to begin! I guess I will begin with our fabulous departure from the airport! My dad drove us (Meghan, Brooke and me) to the airport where we were met by a fairly large group of our loved ones. They were there with American flags and such to see us off. It was so comforting to see them all right before we left. When we were walking into security, somebody started a USA chant. I'm going to have to admit that I got a little bit teary eyed when everyone in our entourage (and everyone else at the airport!) chimed in and started cheering for us. It is definitely a moment that I will treasure forever. We were joined by the USA softball, cycling, and track & field teams on our flight. The entire trip the flight attendants were announcing over the intercom that there were Olympians on board, and we got limitless water as well! The flight itself went by as fast as an 11.5 hour flight could go by. It was pretty comfortable, and before we knew it we were in Beijing!


I'd like to take a moment to give Beijing some serious props! Since April, they have done a 180. The city is so much cleaner, and the air is much clearer! On the day we arrived the sky even had a blueish tint to it, so PROPS BEIJING! Anyways, when we landed all of the USA athletes loaded our stuff into several trucks and got on one big bus to the OLYMPIC VILLAGE! We were informed that our luggage would be brought to our rooms for us. The village itself is truly... AMAZING. There is no other word for it. There are athletes wandering around from every country, all with the same Olympic glow on their faces. The architecture overall decorations are fabulous as well. We made our way to our rooms and were once again very pleased! Our team is sharing 2 apartments, and I am rooming with Belle. We got as situated as we could in 5 minutes because as you synchro people know, WE HAD TO GO SWIMMING RIGHT AWAY!


Our first practice went really well. We got in the pool and pretty much just swam laps to get rid our our airplane legs. I love the feeling of swimming after a long flight. It makes you feel so clean and it makes you tired enough to SLEEP!


After practice, we went back to the village for our first meal in the caf! It was a little overwhelming, I'll have to admit. There are countless types of food including Mediterranean, Asian (duh), International, Deli, Salad, Fruit, and yes... all you can eat McDonald's! There are about 6 stations for each style of food. I walked around like I was in the twilight zone, and decided on probably the most boring dinner I could have picked. Oh well, I will have many more nights explore the depths of the caf!

After dinner we made it back to our rooms and UNPACKED! I brought every card that everyone has written me this year (including multiple cards from the little students at Warm Springs Elementary). I taped them all up on my all, and set the picture frame that Bahareh gave me on my night stand. It feels just like home already!

I brought a huge 3x5 USA Olympic flag from home, and I am having as many athletes sign and write messages on it as I possibly can. So far I have a my team, a swimmer from Yemen, the entire Cuban wrestling team (on this team is one of the HUGEST humans I have ever seen), and the Japanese synchro team. I've got a lot more signing to get done!

Today we had a morning practice at an off sight pool and then came back for lunch. and then had our first practice at THE WATER CUBE! This pool is incredible to swim in. The walls are all bright rainbow colors, I feel so free when I'm in there! I am so proud of our team, and so honored to be a part of it. I took a step back and realized just how much we have grown. We are so calm and work so well together, but we have SO much fun along the way! I am really going to miss this when it is all over, BUT RIGHT NOW I'M GOING TO LIVE IT UP!

Ok folks, I feel like I have left SO much out but I am STARVING!! I must get to the caf and feed myself!

Till next time!

No comments: