Saturday, August 9, 2008

Hello Hello! So much has happened since my last Blog.. I again don't even know where to start!


Yesterday morning (the 8th) we had a short but intense practice at an off sight pool. We had limited time with music and in the water, but man was it hard! We swam a lot of big sections without goggles marathon style, but I felt much more confident after we finished practice. We then headed over to BNU (Beijing Normal University). BNU is a campus that is over 100 years old that the United States Olympic Commitee has rented out for the Games. Let me tell you.. it's times like these when it is GOOD TO BE AN AMERICAN! We were lucky enough to eat lunch at BNU away from all of the craziness at the caf in the village (although that is super fun too). The USOC has flown out cooks, food, and helpers to make everything perfect for the athletes. We sat in a super hip room with incredible furnishings and decorations. The food was SOOO good too! It was really nice to be with a bunch of Americans who are supporting eachother 100% of the way. After we ate lunch we headed through hallways of USOC medical staff, chiropracters, a full gym (looks exactly like 24) brought over by the USOC just for us, anything and everything you can imagine that an athlete might POSSIBLLY need! We were able to get our lift/ circus school coach inside BNU to give us some land training. I was having some neck pain, so I was able to make a trip to the chiropracter. He gave me an awesome adjustment and informed me that I pinched a nerve. Nothing serious, just a bunch of cracks and I was rebooted and ready to keep going! On my way back from my chiropracter appointment, the USA Mens Basketball team was finishing up practice. They are so talkative and friendly! A few of them wanted to know what sport I did, and when I told them they said they couldn't even swim. I told them that I'd be glad to teach them if they could teach me a few moves. Don't worry, I know there will be no time for that but a girl can dream can't she?!


After our trip to BNU we headed back to the village to get ready for OPENING CEREMONIES! On the way back to our rooms, we stopped by a small store in the Olympic Village. If you promise this store that you will recycle, they give you a free shirt made out of recycled bottles that says," I am from earth". We made our pledge and sprinted back to the rooms to pack for Korea and get all dolled up. OH AND BY THE WAY... last night at dinner I spotted Yao eating in the caf! That guy is HUGE.. but you already knew that I'm sure. Anyways, everyone got into our Ralph Lauren ensembles and started lining up. It was so wierd seeing myself wearing formal pants and a blazer, and it was even WIERDER seeing a SEA of people wearing the exact same outfit as me! All of the US athletes then loaded onto a bunch of busses to meet George W. Bush, the First Lady, and Bush Sr. We were all positioned in the Fencing competition venue while we waited, and we were set right next to baseball! We made friends with the team. All of the baseball guys are super nice, and they are all gentlemen! Were talking opening doors and assisting us off the bus! The Bushes then entered the room, and George W. addressed us. He wished us luck, and told us he was rooting for us. He then took a picture with each team. When he came over to ours, a few of us asked if we could get an individual shot with him and he let us! So yes, I have my picture taken with the President! BTW.. he said that we are the prettiest team! YES! After our picture with the president, we made headed over to the basketball team to get some pictures. I got my picture taken with Kobe and a few others. Once again, they are all so nice! Our coach Tammy asked Kobe why he only had ONE diamond in his ear, and one of his teammates joked ,"BECAUSE HES CHEAP!" Somehow, I don't think that's why.


After we mingled with a bunch of athletes, it was time to head over to OPENING CEREMONIES! The big sea of perfectly tailored RL suits headed over into the gymnastics competition venue with every other country as we all anxiously awaited 8:08 pm! Every country was sitting all around the stadium, and everyone was cheering and doing the wave! I can't even explain the energy that was in that "holding tank" while the worlds best athletes awaited Opening Ceremonies! I was able to get my picture taken with a few guys from Saudi Arabia, it is a pretty interesting picture! We ended up sitting in that stadium for a few hours because we marched out as the 140th country. It was finally time, and my legs were shaking I was so excited! We walked past crowds of Chinese people screaming and taking our pictures while chanting "KOBE! KOBE!" As we got closer and closer to the giant tunnel leading to the birds nest, the anticipation was KILLING ME! We were all running around saying ,"CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS IS HAPPENING?!" We were lucky enough to be by a few of our track cycling friends that we have known for years (from the training center) and it was really special to share the moment with them as well! As we entered the tunnel, all of the Americans started a USA chant! I cannot EXPLAIN to you the feelings I had at this moment. EVERYONE was SCREAMING ,"USA! USA! USA! USA!" I had a mix of goosebumps, tears, giggles, I don't even know what the word would be to describe the feeling! The BEST part was that I was experiencing ALL of this right next to 8 of my best friends. I will remember that moment forever! When we walked in the stadium, the crowd went WILD! There were way more USA flags in the audience than I was expecting! We made a lap, waving, and I found out today that we made it on TV! We were then positioned in the middle of the birds nest for the rest of the Ceremonies. It was then that we all realized just how HOT we were in our suits. Everyone was DRIPPING sweat, and I'm sorry Ralph but we had to take the jackets off! After the jackets came off, so did the ties, scarves, shirts came unbuttoned, shoes came off.. at this point it was SURVIVAL! I have never sweated so much in my life, and I had to resort to sitting down on the ground in my freshley pressed and tailored RL pants. Once again, SORRY RALPH! Oh! And who knew that Jackie Chan sang?! We were all so shocked to see him there! Anyways, the ceremonies were simply amazing. The torch lighting was for sure the coolest part. It was SO crazy to see it in person! After the ceremonies were over, EVERYONE headed over to busses waiting for the athletes. By this point it was 1:00 AM which really sucked because we had to leave for Korea at 6:30 AM! We lucked out and got on a bus with the USA Mens Water Polo team. Their coach kept telling the bus driver "GO! GO NOW! GO!" We cut in front of so many other busses, and got home waayyy earlier than a lot of other people. By the time I got home, I was a walking zombie. I quickly packed for Korea and passed the heck out!

This morning we woke up bright and early, ate breakfast at the caf with the triathletes who were also heading to Korea, loaded on the bus, and got to the airport! We arrived in Korea around 2ish, and headed straight to the pool for practice. It was a short but productive practice. I will write more tomorrow about Korea though, because I HAVE TO GO TO SLEEP!

I feel like I have left so much out, but I will write things down as I remember them! Love you all, stay safe, and talk to you soon!

1 comment:

olympics4ever said...

hey christina it's caitlin from SAC i hope you do well in the synchro event. hey can you tell andera i say hi pls and tell her i wish her good luck pls thanx! guss what i saw u on tv during the parade of naitions i was so excided to see u ik was yelling to my parents saying i saw christina i saw her i was so happy! good luck and i hope u get gold in duet and in team! oh and have fun! i wish i was there but i will be watching so good luck and have the time of your life out there ok! ok i will stop talking now good luck